Rules of the Road Online
The rules of the road are for all road users - drivers, pedestrians, motorcyclists, horse riders and cyclists.
You must have a satisfactory knowledge of these rules to get a driving licence, but learning about road safety doesn't stop once you pass a driving test. It takes a lifetime.
This website is divided into seven sections.
- Your licence & vehicle explains the legal requirements for driving, the driving test, NCT details and the laws for learner permit holders
- Rules for Driving explains each of the rules that apply whilst driving on the different roads in Ireland
- Accidents Gardai and Penalties discusses the laws that apply when things go wrong on Irish roads.
- Rules for Pedestrians, Cyclists, and Motorcyclists lists out the laws that apply to these specific road users.
- Respecting other road users covers the laws that apply when you encounter other road users on Irish roads
- Understanding Traffic Signs shows every legal road sign, and explains their purpose
- Useful Resources is a list of other websites and materials of interest to Irish road users.
Download & listen to the audio version of the Rules of the Road.
Watch the instructional videos that have appeared on national television.